In 1937, the Michigan Education Association started the first group hospitalization program for school employees. That program evolved through the years and the Michigan Education Special Services Association (MESSA) was formed in 1960. We are a not-for-profit voluntary employees’ beneficiary association (VEBA). Since 1965, Michigan educators have collectively bargained their benefits with employers.
Today, MESSA is a leader in the Michigan education market, providing outstanding personal customer service and comprehensive medical and prescription coverage, large networks and doctor choice. We also offer vision, dental and short-term and long-term disability benefits. Our members include teachers, education support professionals, K-12 administrators and higher education faculty and staff.
- We cover about 74,000 members and 210,000 insured lives.
- Members have the greatest choice of doctors and access to expert medical care from the best hospitals.
- Our Member Service Center is nationally recognized for personal service and cost-effective operations.
- Our most affordable medical options are high-deductible MESSA ABC plans that work with a health savings account (HSA).
- We provide personal support to members with chronic conditions such as asthma, heart disease and diabetes.
- Our rates remain stable and our increases are well below industry averages.
- We do not pay agent commissions and our administrative fees are lower than competitors.
- Employers receive training and support to effectively manage employee benefits.
- Each group is assigned a field representative to help employees and employers.