This healthier spin on oatmeal bars is a delicious way to incorporate fruit into snack time.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups diced strawberries, divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
For the glaze (optional)
- ½ cuppowdered sugar, sifted
- ½ teaspoonpure vanilla extract
- 1tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with parchment paper or grease the pan.
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, ginger and salt. Pour in melted butter or coconut oil and stir until ingredients are evenly moistened and form clumps. Reserve a half-cup of the crumble mixture; press the rest into an even layer in the pan.
- Scatter half the strawberries over the crust. Sprinkle the cornstarch evenly over the top, then sprinkle on the lemon juice and a half-tablespoon of granulated sugar. Scatter on the remaining berries, then the remaining sugar. Sprinkle reserved crumbs evenly over the top.
- Bake the bars for 35 to 40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbly and the crumb topping is golden. Cool completely before slicing.
- While the bars cool, prepare the glaze (optional): Whisk powdered sugar, vanilla and milk until smooth. Drizzle with glaze, slice and serve.
This article was originally featured in DiscoverYou May/June 2020.